Thursday, November 12, 2009

Masala, Tunbridge Wells

Mrs Hicks and I enjoy Indian food as much as you, but again like you had never really wondered why. So we thought we’d give Masala, in the Pantiles, a proper going over.

Quickly seated, poppadums and drinks arrived with almost indecent haste, and orders were taken with equal brevity. My minced kebab was zingy and light, whilst Mrs Hicks' lamb tikka was both juicy and tender, rather like Mrs Hicks.

After a short wait during which we gently eased through our pints of Kingfisher (the King of Beers!) the main courses were presented to us. My Goan chicken was spicy, but a bit long on sauce, short on meat. Mrs Hicks' lamb madras balti was a succulent success.

With the traditional accompaniments of pilau rice, nan bread, and Bombay aloo the meal did everything it said on the tin. Sated, we had room for nothing more. The decor and piped music bordered on cliche but at £55 this was an unpretentious, perfectly pleasant Indian meal. And what is wrong with that?

Major Hicks

Masala, 51 The Pantiles, Tunbridge Wells, 01892 616700, www.masalathepantiles.com

2 comments:

  1. Major Hicks, who are you? I like your style of writing and your use of words makes me smile. Does Mrs Hicks have a first name?

    Maaybe you can recommend somewhere for me in T/W? (I live here). I am allergic to everything artifiial in food (I am allergic to just about everythng!) and also to white (bleached flour) - so, I have to have 100% "pure" food. Oh, and I don't eat meat but I do eat fish.

    Any suggestions?
    Thank you!
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the same,I like Indian Foods also..The photo that you posted on this site is really cute..Hopefully this April I could visit Tunbridge, Wells..My Dad told me that Tunbridge Wells is a nice place.


    restaurants near wells

    ReplyDelete